View Single Post
Old 8th Mar 2019, 11:09 pm   #1
Karen O
Rest in Peace

Default Mk14 programming

I offer this suggestion purely as an idea (I haven't tested it) and it is in no way intended to compete with SiriusHardware's rather brilliant programming interface.

I believe that all but the earliest monitor ('SCIOS') included cassette routines to load and save programs. These used pulses to encode each bit - a short pulse (~4 millisec for a '1' and ~30 millisec for a '0' or something like that). This tape system had no means to delineate bytes - if a bit was missed the whole load was corrupted!

I often wandered about using a PC's serial port at, say, 200 baud. At this rate, sending the character 0xff sends a 5 millisec pulse (the start bit). A character 0xe0 sends a 30 millisec pulse. I rather suspect the system would work in reverse as well, i.e. the pulses produced by the Mk14 save routines would be interpreted as those characters by a PC.

As I said, it's a completely untested idea. It would need only a simple interface (the actual Mk14 cassette interface would not be required). But, it would involve pre-setting of memory (load start address) and manual program start, unlike SH's solution which gets you straight into the loaded program automatically.

Last edited by Karen O; 8th Mar 2019 at 11:11 pm. Reason: incorrect word fixed