View Single Post
Old 8th Aug 2022, 2:52 am   #8
TIMTAPE
Octode

Default Re: Sony TC-645 1/4 Track R2R Erase Head & Issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButchJames View Post
Judging by the low response on this issue, I can only assume few in here have a TC-645, or even a TC-399? Does the TC-377 have a similar head assembly I wonder? I can't believe nobody has not noticed this 'rubbing' on the erase head? I don't think my machine is any different - but may be it is?

Anyway, here is a shot taken in FF mode, the tape is clearly under 'high' tension. Note the tape's partial 'wrap' on the erase head.
I only have a TC 377 here. Photo attached in FF.

In mine the lifter is held only by spring tension so any excess back tension from either reel might push the arm up. There is a plastic or rubber bush at the base of the arm (just visible in my photo) which I guess should contact the end of the slot in REW and FF.

As per the photo there is about 1mm clearance between the tape and erase head at the left edge. Maybe in your machine's previous life the servo back tension was too high, perhaps due to a dirty drum or felt band, pushing the arm up. Maybe old grease on the reel table spindles contributed to high tape tension in all modes.

Also in your photo of the head pre lapping it looks from the wear pattern that the tape had been riding a little high. There are two separate wear lines at the lower edge, suggesting the tape height had been correct originally but at some stage it rode high, creating the higher wear line at the top, and perhaps polishing out the original correct wear line. Hard to be sure from the photo but normally it would be lower, close to the top edge of the track 1 pole piece. A tape height error there could explain poor erasure.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220808_085712 (2).jpg
Views:	63
Size:	90.9 KB
ID:	262405  

Last edited by TIMTAPE; 8th Aug 2022 at 3:06 am.