View Single Post
Old 2nd Dec 2017, 11:19 pm   #2
vishalk
Pentode

Default Re: Leak Stereo 20 and TL12 Plus in need of recommissioning - Help&Guidance Needed.

I'm trying to show the pictures on this thread but can only seem to give links, if anyone can tell me how to show the pictures on the actual thread that would be most helpful!

So the ST20 is in original condition, it was kept in an attic and not used for 20 years. It comes with the preamp (which I read is not really the best) and lots of replacement valves by Mullard and Tungsram.

Now it looks all healthy and I am tempted to plug it in and see if it works, but again I've read and been told this isn't wise because most certainly some of the components would have perished due to age (i.e the capacitors). My guess is all the components will need changing.

So I would like to know what other members suggest in terms of replacement parts and any necessary mods they see fit.

I would like to keep it as British as I can, what I mean by that is use UK made parts such as PIO (paper in oil capacitors) or some other form of Oil based capacitors:

http://www.audionote.co.uk/comp/cap_paper.shtml

I would like good quality components in there, the right components to get the best out of these amps. I probably will change the power connectors to IEC and if I can add a safety fuses where necessary.

Another I'm trying to get my head around is the input sensitivity, I would like to use this amp with modern type equipment i.e Ipad, CD player etc. I have two preamps one modern type being a LFD/Mistral and a Marantz 7m7 valve type. So would I need to modify the amplifier to suit? I've read about modifying it to run triode output not sure if thats worth while.

I guess I could get it back to original working condition and then later try some modifications later on.