View Single Post
Old 21st Nov 2017, 2:21 pm   #19
Al (astral highway)
Dekatron

Default Re: Wireless Self-Resonance Experiments

Quote:
Originally Posted by russell_w_b View Post
I'd better say now that I didn't design my coil seriously, or how you're meant to (from the primary inwards). I made it from a few bits and bobs I had, and 'it just happened...' The secondary is a piece of PVC drainpipe, varnished in the lathe then wrapped with as many turns as I could get on it. Then varnished again.

I wound a loose-coupled primary from brake-pipe and I feed it from an old neon mast-lighting transformer via an R-C filter, and resonate the primary with three 15kV ceramic capacitors ganged up and equating to about 4nF. I put a short clip on YouTube here.
Nice demo, Russell! I like the breakout pattern of mechanically-excited coils, it is distinctively more random than with solid-state modulated or valve-powered circuits, breaking out above, below and to the side of the top-load (toroid, typically). What did you use a a spark-gap?

Everyone: any thoughts on my series based mathematically on wire length, at the bottom of post#11 - and where to go next with it?!! I am intrigued !!