View Single Post
Old 21st Nov 2017, 12:19 am   #14
Al (astral highway)
Dekatron

Default Re: Wireless Self-Resonance Experiments

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argus25 View Post
Those Knight glow tube experiments are really interesting.
Hey Hugo,

They really are, aren't they! Do you think you might replicate some of them?

By coincidence, my partner's father worked, before a tragic early death, in defence physics /ballistics and analytical geometry when she was growing up - at one point for Ferranti!

And before I even met her and knew this, I owned a Ferranti NSP1 glow tube, of a type that I can use for some of David Kinght's experiments.

It was wonderful when she first saw the distinctive graphic design on the box of the tube and told me what personal significance it had to her past. Now this is a tangible link between her history and my interest in electronics, which she supports wholeheartedly.

Quote:
Or is this idea just regarded as a practical problem for Tesla coils because of the high voltage rating required for any lumped tuning capacitors ?
It is an excellent idea, and yes, that's the limiting factor, spot on. Impedance mismatches and poor tuning can result in a few tenths of uS duration 'violence' in terms of flashovers between closely coupled inductors, etc. In a poorly tuned circuit there can be a 40KV or more voltage gradient between primary and grid feedback coils, for example.

Thank you for your idea, I'll maybe post you the simplified circuit without lumped components, in a PM if that's ok?