View Single Post
Old 16th Jun 2021, 9:36 am   #16
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Default Re: PYE D18T 9" table model 1946.

The Invicta T102 is certainly an odd mix of D16T parts! It really is odd. "To my knowledge they never produced a PYE branded version of this. 2 X PL38s if I remember correctly I discovered this example in a huge dry shed/building at the rear of a radio & television shop that had originally, in the 1920's been a cycle shop. Quite a number of pre war TV receivers had been sold from this establishment, mainly Cossor. It's a very interesting story and maybe when I tow that T102 [seen in the picture on the shelf] into shore I will tell you about it. It's knobs appeared to be missing but were later discovered inside the cabinet in a paper bag wrapped in a bit of newspaper dated 1960. I repaired it many years ago but not a full waxie change, so I suspect it may need some attention.

Back to the B/D16T. I have two console versions both with interesting stories. The first one I mentioned earlier, was owned by the grand old lady riddled with cats! One of them ripped the speaker cloth and the results can just about be seen in the picture. All part of it's history. It was repaired many years ago and has held up quite well.

The second one together with a number of other receivers was obtained from another elderly customer. Her late husband had been very interested in television and used to visit jumble sales in the early 60's. He had passed away many years ago leaving around five receivers to collect dust in that upper room.

I discovered a little hard backed note book where he had listed the models he had obtained with 'broken up' against the ones he had scrapped. These included HMV 904s, 1804s and a couple of 1807s. I know....but they were just junk back then.

The D16T together with a number of other receivers were stored in the upper room of a massive Edwardian house in a 'nice' part of Surrey.

All the TV receivers were in immaculate condition having been stored since retirement in a warm dry atmosphere. All of them had that 'thin layer of dust' feeling. It was a time warp.

History over. With the D16T on the workbench back at my old shop, I simply repaired it. The .1uf 7kv cap [it was a Visconol] was useless together with a few age related faults. It can just about be seen in one of the pictures. I will get it out when I can raise the mental state and see how it's aged. A recap will be required..

Pictures show The Invicta T102. The first D16T. [cats] Screen shot from same. The last one is the 2nd one obtained from the elderly lady. It is somewhat buried at the moment protected with carpet tiles and cardboard. I MUST get it out!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PYE 9 (1).jpg
Views:	138
Size:	111.3 KB
ID:	235986   Click image for larger version

Name:	PYE 9 (2).jpg
Views:	117
Size:	69.7 KB
ID:	235987   Click image for larger version

Name:	PYE 9 (3).jpg
Views:	135