View Single Post
Old 8th Dec 2019, 2:02 am   #31
ajgriff
Nonode

Default Re: Damaged vintage variac

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorG3VLF View Post
I would not change the brush unless it is too short. Sometime ago I read that the brush consisted of two brushes glued together so that there is considerable reistance from one turn to the next but the two parts are in parallel for the load current. Also anisotropic carbon is used.
The attached blurry image shows an exploded view of the brushes cropped from the second photo in post #21. The holders are protruding and the brushes are quite short so I think it's probably wise to replace them at the same time as the rest of the work. Although they are electrically connected the brushes move up and down independently in their respective spring loaded holders (see JW's video mentioned earlier in the thread). Unfortunately the video doesn't seem to give much information about sourcing suitable anisotropic brushes or how to go about fitting them. Having replaced my own Variac's (Lyons V-5) brush not so long ago I might be able to help with some options and will dig out my notes later in the morning.

Alan
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Brush.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	151.5 KB
ID:	195027