View Single Post
Old 7th Dec 2017, 3:12 pm   #18
mark pirate
Dekatron

Default Re: Bush TV22 spares availability?

Quote:
The TV22 struck me as one of the most interesting and cleverly designed TV sets I had seen, with the chassis stacked on each other, it is amazingly compact and the way the cabinet fits over the chassis is clever.
I certainly agree, a lot nicer than the TV24 (same chassis) that takes ages to extract the main chassis from the wooden cabinet, leaving the 12" CRT only held by the neck

I was very lucky recently to win a very battered TV24 on ebay for only £9,
It has yielded a Good LOPT, original mains lead & a decent emission CRT.
The cabinet is the only part that is beyond use.

The first TV22 I restored was kept indoors in a dry environment all it's life, which is why the LOPT & blocking TX are still fine.

Decades in a damp loft are a sure sign that you will encounter problems with wound components, "green spot" corrosion is the usual problem with the blocking TX.
Rusted lamination's on the LOPT are a sure sign that if it has not already failed, it soon will....

There are also other problems with poor storage, the plywood pieces seem to be a real delicacy for woodworm and it is not uncommon to find the loud speaker cone rotted away.

Quote:
You can at least confirm the CRT heater is ok by measuring with a DMM. The resistance should be about 3 Ohms. Obviously this isn't possible if you're buying through eBay etc.
This is very good advice, but I have been unlucky enough to find that although the heater showed good continuity, the CRT turned out to be very low emission or down to air

I still have a TV22 in the collection that requires a new CRT.

Mark