Old 27th Nov 2017, 10:18 pm   #20
mhennessy
Dekatron

Default Re: Workshop lining

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinewave View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhennessy View Post
Yes, so that's sctructural ply, where as I said regular ply, which is the ply people have problems with.

Structural ply, £33 per sheet.
OSB3 (which is structural) £18 per sheet.
It appears that you missed the word "spruce" in my original message and assumed I was suggesting regular ply - in which case you would have been quite correct to call me out for making a bad recommendation - but I was quite specific about using spruce ply...

As for the prices, you don't state the supplier, but so that we're comparing apples to apples, the B&Q price for 18mm OSB is £24 a sheet. No-doubt available for less elsewhere, but then the same should be true for the spruce ply.

But like I said earlier, I've no idea which would be best for Guy's application - that would depend on variables we don't yet know... I can say that the spruce ply I got from B&Q had one half-decent side that takes paint reasonably well after a light sanding, so that might save the cost of plasterboard - certainly, it's worth trying it first. If I was using OSB, then I'd definitely have to include the plasterboard layer because personally I wouldn't be happy with painted OSB. Obviously, that's a personal preference thing...

But don't forget the vapour barrier