View Single Post
Old 16th Mar 2019, 4:41 am   #425
Radio Wrangler

Default Re: connectors made from exotic materials

I once suggested that the non-tarnishing silver alloy, Mithril, might make the best-sounding 'interconnects'. Unfortunately supply is a bit limited, but that only pushes the prices up and thereby adds to the reassurance of their sonic performance. Moria Mining and Metals are no longer in business, but there are hordes of stashed raw material around.

I like the bit about the mains cable being the first part of any system and that it's important that it does not introduce distortion. That can only have been written bt someone who has never seen the waveform of typical mains coming out of walls today, and has no clue about the current waveforms created in rectifier circuits even if fed from a perfect sine wave.

Maybe 3-phase, full-wave rectification is the way to go? PFC is too complicated and involves feedback loops (Boo! Hiss!) so it must sound bad.

I work in the radio frequency side of the aerospace industry, and the only 'aerospace cable technologies' I've come across relate to security of connection, resistance to cuts and fireproofness. RG400 made with run of the mill purity copper is fine for getting your passengers safely to their destination. Maybe if we switched to audiophile stuff, all the passengers would feel a lot more arrived, and would be driven to re-visit all their previous destinations using the new, improved plane?

Maybe audiophile grade fuel pipes to the engines will improve the aircraft's sonic signature to something more euphonious and stop residents near airports complaining?

These people provide us with free entertainment. Most comedians you have to buy a ticket to see, or buy a TV licence.

David