View Single Post
Old 20th Sep 2018, 11:04 am   #63
Ian - G4JQT
Octode

Default Re: Changing the BVWS

I've been watching this thread with interest and much of what I would have said has been said. Yes, maybe it's time for a formal widening of the BVWS remit to include other forms of vintage audio equipment, like amplifiers and record-players (and reflect this in the name) - although to my knowledge these items have not been excluded from the pages of the bulletin in recent years. But are there other British groups covering these areas that would be uncomfortable with BVWS 'mission creep'?

Perhaps I missed it in this thread, but it seems there is an elephant in the room; AM radio is dying, for the reasons frequently debated on this forum and elsewhere. Remember that people under 30 rarely listen to any type of radio. They get what they want when they want it - from the internet.

There may be some form of very local MW broadcasting in future when the big boys move out, but I doubt it. I suspect that all British LW and MW broadcasting will be gone in a decade or so (look across to most of Europe), and we must brace ourselves for that.

However lack of broadcast signals hasn't stopped the collection or restoration of analogue TVs, but it has moved into a niche market, requiring the use of TV converters. This is already the case with our radios, with more of us making or buying 'pantry transmitters', but again, this is for the enthusiast. If we had lots of MW stations to listen to with hardly any interference, we'd be in a different place. But we're not.

So maybe it's now time to have another look out of the window and gently evolve the BVWS to suit the approaching landscape...

Ian