View Single Post
Old 27th May 2019, 8:44 am   #3
Sideband
Dekatron

Default Re: CRT lost its tension band

Well the tried and trusted method we used in the trade was to break the sealing pip at the end of the neck. How you do this is what is best for you be we used a small hammer......Sounds drastic BUT YOU GENTLY tap the sealing pip (might be easier if you remove the plastic base with the guide spigot that covers the pip). One engineer I know used a large screwdriver wedged between the pins and sealing pip and a deft twisting motion would break the pip and the gentle hiss of air would result. Generally we left the CRT in the set while we 'let it down'.

I have a small modelling hammer that I've used countless times to do this but I have resorted to a normal hammer when the small one temporarily went missing.

Most times the pip will break off cleanly, sometimes you crack the base near the pins as well.....it doesn't matter other than it goes to air quicker.

I should emphasise that care should be exercised and it's always advisable to wear protective eyewear. You could do this 1000 times and not have a problem but there is always that one time.....!

Argus 25 has a good point....make sure that it's not just the mounting band. Don't ruin an otherwise good CRT!