View Single Post
Old 19th May 2019, 7:13 pm   #2
60 oldjohn
Dekatron

Default Re: PCB production using toner transfer

Hi Tony, I have been using this method for two or three years, still experimenting, try to get perfection. Like you I had limited success with magazine covers, one month perfect next month same magazine hopeless. Tried the transfer paper from China, unfortunately it often got screwed up in the printer. My Son finally brought the backing paper from a firm that makes laminated signs, they have to pay to dispose of the stuff. At first it seemed too waxy to get the toner to stick, after some thought I decided to wipe it on some old carpet to remove some of the wax or is it silicone? This worked well. I had been using an old electric iron for the heat, the modern steam irons have a lot of holes in the sole so not really suitable for this job. Then I spotted the Heated Book press pictured at a car boot sale for £20. It had some marks in the plates, I guess it had been used for die cutting leather. I finally achieved perfection with it using some thick strong card to back the PCB to even up the pressure. The card I used was out of a printing by numbers set that was being thrown out.
I like the toner idea for making front panels, something else for me to experiment with, Maybe spray it over with lacquer if it does not dissolve the toner. Thank You for the tip Tony.

John.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Press & paper 001.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	67.1 KB
ID:	183421   Click image for larger version

Name:	Press & paper 002.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	83.8 KB
ID:	183422  

Last edited by 60 oldjohn; 19th May 2019 at 7:24 pm.