View Single Post
Old 15th May 2019, 11:38 am   #1
Mikey405
Octode

Default A Futuristic TV with FM Radio

Hi all.

I decided that as I could probably never afford the real thing, I'd buy the manual for the rather futuristic and extremely comprehensive TV / radio set called the Decca Decola.

This particular Decola (there were several large radios / grams with the same name) is a combined projection-TV and 8-band radio from 1949 / 1950; it has 48(!) valves, 8 of those (including two PX25s) are in the audio amplifier. The set is huge and built in the grand-manner - and probably cost an absolute bloddy fortune too. I've seen them listed on eBay from time to time but I wonder how many have survived with their amplifiers intact.

Anyway, the reason that they are so futuristic (to my mind at least) is that the set has an FM radio band (5/6 years before I thought the BBC started broadcasting) and the manual states that the FM range "used by the BBC" is 88-110MHz. And this in 1949/1950.

Does anyone have any memories of these and what might have been available on the FM band for your great cash outlay in 1950?

Thanks all.

Kind regards.

From Mike.
PS. I realise that this is straying into "Radio" territory but as it was foremost a TV, hopefully it could be excused.