View Single Post
Old 23rd Dec 2018, 11:17 am   #8
terrybull
Octode

Default Re: Dell CPi 233ST laptop

I have several old laptops and enjoy trying to get the best from them. It depends what you hope to achieve with them. I have a Panasonic cf-27 with a PentiumII M @ 300Mhz and 256mb ram. If you're going to try and get on the internet then Linux is the way to go. I have tried every 'lightweight' Linux on the planet and the vast majority are beyond these ancient (in computer term) machines. I can help you cut to the chase and suggest you look at Slitaz Linux. Slitaz 3 works well and runs an older version of libre office well and wifi for email and I can browse this forum for example. In fact I used this earlier this year to type out several hundred letters written home by my grandfather in WW1 for publication. My 800Mhz P3M runs Slitaz 5 well. Slitaz is a bit quirky but if you persist very usable with an excellent help forum.
If your not bothered about going on line then Windows is perhaps easiest to use. I find the dreaded Windows ME works pretty well on this old hardware but it is glitchy. Feel free to pm me if you wish.

Last edited by terrybull; 23rd Dec 2018 at 11:25 am.