View Single Post
Old 14th Apr 2019, 10:55 am   #10
David Simpson
Nonode

Default Re: Rock Island Line

I enjoyed that program immensely, being a lifelong Lonnie Donegan fan. It mentioned his big concert at the Empire Theatre in Liverpool which inspired John Lennon, back in '56 or '57. My Dad took me & I was enthralled.
Then, just a couple of months ago, Lonnie's son was on "The Voice" & gave a brilliant performance. I hope he has a great career. I recall Lonnie mentioning years ago that he was inspired by Leadbelly, having acquired his records in Germany from American PX's, whilst he was on national service round about 1950-ish.
For us folk in the vintage electronics fraternity, what a boon to see that amazing American pre-war recording machine. I wonder if any Forum guys have ever seen one or acquired one ?
As a late 50's/early 60's young teenage skiffle & rock fan, the Liverpool dance hall scene was fantastic. The original Quarrymen were a decent enough band, whereas the re-invented Beatles(prior to their rise to fame - pushed by the NEMS shops) weren't thought much of. The best band was the Dennisons, then the Big Three, then Rory Storm & the Hurricanes, & several others. Venues such as the Orrell Park Ballroom, Litherland Town Hall, and the Mardi Gras in the city centre were favourites. The Cavern was a smelly dump. The Royal Iris ferry boat did a trip up & down the Mersey on a Saturday night with a Rock & Roll band on board for a few years.
I wonder if anyone on the Forum has attempted a restoration of a clapped-out "Scouse-Git's" Amp from those days ?

Ta Ra, wackers, David