View Single Post
Old 27th Oct 2020, 1:57 pm   #13
AdamOfBremen
Triode

Default Re: Help with Tandberg Model 15 2 Track

Thanks for that, very useful information. The ribbon microphone I have ordered is a new one from a well known international supplier. It's a T bone RB800. I had the idea to make my own, they are quite easy to make, then I found this one for £88, case and everything. My idea is to keep it forever and to maintain the ribbon inside the mic - it is quite easy to remake this part oneself with a few special tools.

Most of the great recordings of the 1950s were made using ribbon microphones. Some of those recordings, on CD, in my small collection, are the best sounding ones I have. This, together with listening to youtube demos, has led me to choosing this path. I already have a couple of low cost large diaphragm condenser microphones that I am not so enamoured with. I'm hoping to get more bass response and warmer vocals using the ribbon. It won't have an alnico magnet, yet the demos sound promising.

If the tape input doesn't work too good, I will put it through my mixer which has fairly clean low noise preamps. I just thought it might balance perfectly with the tape being closer to the vintage, so to speak. It's worth a try.