Old 1st Jul 2011, 8:38 pm   #21
AndiiT
Octode

Default Re: Another unusual plug and some other questions

Hi,
Thanks for the excellent information.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucien Nunes View Post
.....Take care not to confuse the many non-standard types. Britmac, Dorman & Smith, Niphan, Wandsworth (round pin), 'Wandsworth gauge' 13A, Lewden, Santon, Wylex, etc are all unrelated, some based on BS gauges, others not.......
I understand the difference between most of these "non-standards" but could you clarify, if able to, that the D&S ,presumably Dorman and Smith (Or was it Dorman and Smith Britmac?), or so I was told many years ago, is the same as the "Wandsworth" type?, which is what I have been led to believe from conversations elsewhere in these forums some time ago.

Quote:
The other plug in your original picture, a DS fused plug, belongs to a different era. It was made as an alternative to BS1363 for ring-main circuits......
It's interesting that this was intended for ring main circuits and might explain why I have seen these sockets in some private dwellings as well as Council properties over the years.

Quote:
The MK plug in the picture above is an early interlocking type not made to BS gauge. This system captivated the plug when switched on and prevented the switch being operated without a plug present....
Many thanks for clearing the plug mystery up, when you say early, what sort of era might it have been from?

Regards
Andrew