View Single Post
Old 11th Dec 2019, 11:31 am   #29
simpsons
Octode

Default Re: Grundig Elite-Boy 500 maintenance manual in German - can anyone help?

Argus 25, I am that brave gentleman.

Why? Because first the member is new to fault finding and FM radio IF circuit design. Notwithstanding the alignment instruction being written in German or English, I believe it is necessary to understand a lttle of what you are doing when repairing a transistor radio especially if the fault is illusive.

Secondly, aligning IF circuits requires experience and I understand that Mike has not yet used of a scope and wobbulator to align IF and discriminator transformers. Crystal markers and response curves are very informative when you know what they mean but, I would be cautious to recommend such equipment to effect what could be adjustment of one core, without a helping hand.

Third, from Mikes description of his attempt to repair the radio, he has only adjusted the core of the ratio detector, a tweek often refered to in this forum without use of a wobbulator. I do agree for optimimum results it maybe necessary but were talking a mono transistor radio.

I did think that Mike's report of "a bit of distortion on the audio output" needed following up just in case he's barking up the wrong tree, so to speak.

I do of course fully agree that in a manufacturing environment, the use of a proper display and signal source is without question the proper way of aligning the IF strip but the user must know what is required.

In the case of Grundig their AM IF transformers, a symetrical bandswidth of 4.3kHz is often specified and the IF not just peaked for maximum output. For FM I'm unable to find the spec included in their service manual. No doubt because it is an industry standard, as you say detailed in the wobbulator user guide.

Chris