View Single Post
Old 25th Aug 2019, 3:43 am   #1
Linnovice
Hexode

Default Loudspeaker Distortion

Hi all, I have a problem I need some guidance on please. I have recently acquired a pair of IQ Ted 3 loudspeakers. They are of German manufacture from the 80’s and from what little information I’ve been able to get, were not a cheap item. The spec label reads as follows:

NENNBELASTBARKEIT 110watt
MUSIKBELASTBARKEIT. 160watt
FREQUENCY 32 ~ 24000 KHertz
EMPHORLEN FUR VERSTARKER VON 4 ~ 8 OHM

I am driving them with a vintage Rotel RA-1312 rated at 80W per channel RMS into 8ohms 20 ~ 20K Hertz.

My problem is that at reasonably ‘normal’ listening levels the output is very good and clear but if I turn the volume anywhere over 60% the sound rapidly distorts into unlistenable garbage. It’s not that I want the house to move but sometimes it’s good to ramp it up a bit.

From what I’ve read online I’m wondering if the amp is under powered to drive the speakers. What do you think?

At the same time in a separate room, I am driving a pair of Linn Kabers actively wired through three Linn LK100’s via the pre out connections on the amp. This achieves nowhere near the same volume levels as the directly wired IQ’s and there is no evidence of distortion.

Any guidance will be gratefully received.