View Single Post
Old 13th Sep 2011, 7:28 pm   #108
murphyv310
Dekatron

Default Re: Restorers dream part 2 the chassis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired View Post
Hi,

As caps play such an important role and this chassis was full of waxy caps I've spent the morning changing them rather than taking a lot of time trying to identify each one. Every cap I replaced was leaking badly on test. I used 630V units throughout with the exception of a Metalpack Visconol 0.02uF rated at 750V on a large transformer so I used a TCC Supermold 0.022 rated at 1500VDC.
Hi Col.
Well done on the excellent progress you have made so far. One thing that I don't really agree with and something that I have given advice on before (Oldticktock, Chris comes to mind) is that blanket replacement of components is never a good idea. If you make a mistake its often much harder to trace a problem especially as you don't have much in the way of fault finding skills on TV sets. The other thing is if you change each cap in turn you will see the effect a faulty cap has on picture and sound, this is the way I recommend you do it, I am sure all the established repairers and restorers like my self will tackle the job.
Oldticktock is now one of the best restorers here and produces excellent and consistent work.
I am sure you will also have an excellent end result but you won't know what each component could cause if faulty