View Single Post
Old 14th Jul 2019, 12:38 am   #168
JohnBHanson
Heptode

Default Re: Gemini 80-Bus System

When my linux box died it needed a new motherboard. I bought a replacement and linux needed a new install to work properly so I ended up using an old motherboard as a replacement. This older motherboard used the hdd drivers rather than the sda drivers. I found these to be a lot slower and also the linux system (maybe because of the backward change from sda to hda) would disable interrupts for a while. This caused disruption with the mouse and the serial ports.

In this case I actually found that using USB serial ports worked more reliably.

With gemini remember that 9600 baud has a divisor of 13. On a PC 9600 baud has a divisor of 12. In practice this means that 9600 baud is the fastest common baud rate between the machines. However it is still usable - indeed I have used T-NET to install floppy disk images for my matmos machine which I recovered/upgraded recently. It now supports 3.5 inch 1.44MByte disks - upgraded from 360k disks.

Personally I think T-NET is one of the most used programs I have written in Z80 code. The only pain is that it drives the serial port directly and hence needs a different version for each machine.

PS - Most of my work on CP/M has been done with the CCPZ extended command processor. It would be worth installing that on your system because it is so much nicer. T-NET also plays happier with CCPZ.

usage

T-NET <network drives> installs T-NET with upto four network drives - the limit is in xbeaver
eg T-NET NOP installs network drive N O and P

and T-NET R
removes T-NET