View Single Post
Old 31st Mar 2019, 12:58 pm   #1
Panrock
Nonode

Default Television over a light beam

This is really, I suppose, a plug for the forthcoming annual NBTVA Convention on Saturday April 6th from 10.00 am at the Plumptre Hall, Church Street, Eastwood, Nottingham NG16 3BP. An interesting day out for television enthusiasts. Mods please move if appropriate.

NBTV (narrow band television) is traditionally 'low definition'. So I shall be definitely pushing my luck this year by taking along a 625-line demo. This is to modulate a (fast) LED with a complete analogue Channel E4 (61 - 68 MHz) bearing a PAL colour picture and sound, then beam it across the hall, where it will be picked up by a photodiode + other bits 'n pieces and displayed on a set. The optics uses bullseye condensing lenses at each end.

This is an upgraded version of a b/w 405-line arrangement I demonstrated in 2016.

What's the point? Well, it's interesting to see how far you can go modulating an LED with a linear signal - and remember this event is about "television experimenting for fun".

KarenO on this forum is a prolific contributor there. It will be interesting to see what she brings along this year.

Maybe see some of you there.

Steve