View Single Post
Old 26th Mar 2018, 11:05 am   #8
cmjones01
Nonode

Default Re: HP 5245L counter crystal oscillator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Wrangler View Post
That crystal needs to be in an oven and it needs to be at the right temperature. The cut of the crystal won't be the usual 'AT', it will be designed to have a parabolic freq/temp curve with a flattish nose at usually +80C so the tempco at the oven's operating point is minimal.
Still legible on the crystal is its recommended operating temperature, 67.5C. I'd like to put a sensor in the oven so that when it's all back together and working (fingers crossed) I can check that it's really at its optimum point.

Then I'll need to check how stable it is, of course. I almost bought a posh GPS-driven frequency standard in an auction the other day but resisted when the price got too high. I can't decide whether I'm disappointed or not. It would be nice to have a reference to compare things to, but I'm also aware that once I start playing the metrology game, insanity beckons!

I've also got a fairly tired ex-telco Efratom Rubidium standard here but have never checked to see how accurate it actually is.

Chris
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180325_203348.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	73.9 KB
ID:	159957