View Single Post
Old 20th Dec 2019, 12:30 pm   #8
slidertogrid
Octode

Default Re: Philips 22CS1002/05t TV

I had lots of these sets out on rental because they were so reliable we ran them into the ground . Their swansong was to be used as loan sets often with a heater coil shorted to bring tube emission up.
When the tube got really bad the set was finally scrapped by then both coils had been shorted. it was surprising how long they would carry on like that.
In all that time I never came across a tube that was so bad it took a long time to show a picture.
Unless someone has boosted it to death ?
Is it possible to ask the person that serviced the set what was done? is the tube low emission? did he short a coil or both and did he change the A1 capacitor?

otherwise can you take a few pictures? A picture of the picture as displayed on the screen, a picture of the tube base front and back and a picture of the top of the chassis/pcb around the A! controls component side should answer the questions as to what was done.

If both coils are shorted out and the emission is still poor there is not a lot of hope for the tube, if overrunning the heaters doesn't improve the picture I doubt boosting it will. I always found boosting in line gun tubes was a waste of time. Overrunning the heaters slightly was a much longer term cure. We called it the Heater Modge.
Often a tube's life could be extended for a couple of years in this way.
Rich