View Single Post
Old 15th Dec 2018, 1:29 am   #25
Neil Purling
Nonode

Default Re: More Chinese AM radio kits

Jolly 7: You need to look around with the forum search. There are threads that will tell you of the experiences the Forum members have had with them. I first got one of these radio kits around this time last year.

I believe that this circuit is a particularly basic one. The output stage is not push-pull.
It is what is referred to as totem-pole. I do not know that that means in terms of audio quality or the power output.
The radio is best for local stations as there isn't the extra gain stage in the IF strip to drive the audio stage fully.
That is my understanding anyway. Shango066 on You Tube built examples of the six and seven transistor kits and took them out to a DX spot as well as a Arvin that had the full IF strip and a RF amplifier. I wish I knew which of his videos had the comparison between the six transistor HX-6B and the seven transistor HX108-2.
BTW: The S66E is the one I just got done making. The circuit is exactly the same as the HX-6B. Only the case and maybe the PCB are different. A lot of the AM only radio kits are to the same design, though some do have a true push-pull output stage.