Thread: Having a laugh?
View Single Post
Old 10th Feb 2018, 3:27 pm   #106
ukcol
Rest in Peace

Default Re: Having a laugh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Philpott View Post
Whenever the explanation/s were repeated (and they were many times) i could not grasp them.....

I think that in many cases this can be down to poor teaching. If an explanation (perhaps repeated once) cannot be grasped by a particular individual it is time, surely, to change the explanation, attack the problem from a different angle that perhaps the person will understand.

I recently saw in an episode of "Q.I." a trick where a pseudo-random random 3 figure number was mathematically manipulated in such a way as to always give the answer 1089. I spoke to my younger son, who had studied mathematics at university, about it and he said "I can't explain it off the top of my head, but I suspect it is something to do with the 9 times table". He later sent me a link to a Wikipedia article on "1089 (the number)" and however many times I read the article I couldn't understand the explanation.
I eventually came to my own understanding of it by playing with the numbers and discovering that the key was multiples of 99, (the 99 times table). My own explanation, which I have written down in a Word document of some 6 pages is probably at a much lower level than the Wiki article, but in my opinion much easier to understand by someone like me who has had a limited education in maths.

The same applies to speech communication over a poor link, if you repeat something in exactly the same way the chances are that the recipient still won't understand.
If, however, you change the form of words while maintaining the meaning, the chances are that he/she will understand you.