View Single Post
Old 5th Jul 2018, 1:49 pm   #16
Argus25
No Longer a Member

Default Re: Restoring the whiteness to yellowed plastic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldie99 View Post
As a chemist, I'd opt for the paint solution - it not only provides a new, clean, attractive surface layer, but to some extent it may even provide a partial 'barrier' to help slow further degradation of the plastic substrate (paints contain similar additives), albeit probably not for long.
I agree. It is known that chemical cleaners degrade, oxidize and damage surfaces. The process of cleaning is often destructive to the surface. On the other hand the paint is protective and in this case it fuses with the surface to create a new plastic exterior finish.

(One of the more benign cleaners is just a slightly damp cloth and since more substances are known to dissolve in water than any other solvent, often it is not a bad option for many cleaning jobs, but of course it won't improve the appearance of yellow plastic).

I have attached a photo showing three items restored with Arctic White lacquer. (The Apple and two IBM 5153 VDU's)

Here is a link to the product:

https://www.repco.com.au/en/brands/d...50g/p/A9514584

It is the only one I would vouch for, for the application. Of course you can get more creamy colored or off white versions, but this one has the right "whiteness" for a new look, but not quite as white as the nearby shelving.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ArcticW.jpg
Views:	345
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	165634