View Single Post
Old 30th Dec 2017, 5:20 pm   #1
Mylkinut
Retired Dormant Member

Default Bush TR82B problems

Hi all - brand new to the forum as well as vintage radios (please forgive my lack of knowledge!).

I recently inherited a Bush TR82B which I'm quite keen to see if I can get going and learn something new in the process. I've got some soldering skills (mostly from modding/repairing guitars). If it's not worth the effort it's no great loss - it looks quite pretty on the shelf anyway!

The current situation is this:
  • It has a new battery in it
  • Switches on, but only static comes through the speaker
  • Volume and tone pots both seem to be functioning and reasonably crackle-free after some contact cleaner
  • After switching between Med and Long repeatedly (to see how the mechanism worked, largely out of curiosity) it started picking up a station, albeit it with a fair amount of static. I couldn't move away from this station using the tuning dial - it was stuck on that station.
  • That lasted about 10 minutes - in that 10 minutes it dropped out a couple of times, but switching to Long and back again kicked it back in.
  • Now I can only very faintly hear voices and music, and it's almost all static.

The serial number is 345/06551 - I believe this is an earlier one without the AF117 transistors but I could be wrong.

Where should I start looking to diagnose its problems? Any help would be brilliant. I've attached some pictures if it makes things easier.

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20171230_160810130.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	77.1 KB
ID:	154724   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20171230_160857126.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	92.6 KB
ID:	154725