View Single Post
Old 6th Nov 2019, 11:58 pm   #14
matthewhouse
Octode

Default Re: Telephone Rentals Uniselector Chronogram

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robsradio View Post
TR Services used to call the hooters Adaptahorns.
I'll have to get hold of one! (though I do have an old 240V Klaxon I found in another closed factory, that makes a lot of noise too) I have just searched online and the sound is identical to the shift change hooters that were still operating throughout the factory. They sounded great! Bit strange to hear them sound through the day in a closed down almost empty factory, the vending machines were still running and partly stocked too...
Quote:
The 1 minute impulses were also derived by relays only by an impulse converter, some had hysteresis slugs on them to add the necessary contact hold, also there was an impulse reverser which switched the polarity of each impulse to drive 'continental' style alternate polarity slave clocks, this was does by PO relays, again some slugged.
That must be that what this photographed unit is. Its input is taken from one of the outputs from the main controls, and p1 & p2 I assume fed a string of clocks. It does run the clock I have here. Yes there certainly seems to be different types of relay. It looks like a duplicate of what is in the main controls cabinet, added to run an extra circuit of clocks? The main cabinet also appears to have spare wiring and component mounting positions for a second set. There is no adjustable resistor though on this unit like the main one to set the circuit current.
Quote:
As you probably guess, I love this stuff, I will now take my anorak off!
Keep it on, it's interesting to learn about all this stuff! Far more fun than the modern version. I'm glad I saved it before it ended up in a skip, I'm having a great time learning how each section functions. I would have loved to install and maintain this sort of equipment, its complexity is right up my street. I've designed some rather bizarre control circuits using lots of relay logic and when I've finished looked at it and wondered how I came up with that and got it working. I'm quite good at taking faulty equipment and with a bit of time and playing I can work out how most things work eventually, in order to repair the item. It's more difficult when the wiring for 30 contacts disappears into a bundle of wires though, but once I've broken each part down into sections it becomes much less intimidating. Oops , I've started pointlessly rambling again.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ext.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	107.2 KB
ID:	193217   Click image for larger version

Name:	clk.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	81.1 KB
ID:	193218