View Single Post
Old 27th May 2018, 1:37 pm   #35
Argus25
No Longer a Member

Default Re: What to replace a RIFA X2 with?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevehertz View Post
In the words of one John McEnroe, you can't be serious? Personally I would never fit any component that I knew I'd have to change in a few years time.
I agree with you on this totally. Especially with the amount of time and work required to restore a vintage set of any kind, I go for the highest quality parts and as I noted on other threads I try to eliminate electro's where possible in valve gear now, because I don't want to have to go back in later for repairs. And this applies to the X2's also.

In transistor/IC gear I use the highest quality highest temperature electrolytics available with the longest hrs rated life. While the better electros might cost a few extra $ in the short term and you have to order them and wait to get them, in the long run it is worth it and if some fault does develop later you don't have to immediately start questioning the electrolytic caps.

One thing in SMPS's often the designers place many of the electros close to heat sinks. These are always the ones that dry out and go dome topped with gas pressure first. So there could be an argument for selective replacement.

But if the SMPS is 30 or more years old (especially in SMPS where ripple currents are high) and some of the caps are already "expired" I think if you want a reliable supply after your refurbishment, it is better to replace every electrolytic. Or likely, after a while, you will be finding your way back in there for repairs. And its logical to do it the first time, when the supply is undergoing repairs, not having to reinvent the wheel and go back in later. So there is really no logic in leaving any of the old electrolytics in there and replacing just a few in an old SMPS where some failed in the first place.