View Single Post
Old 27th May 2018, 12:16 pm   #32
Argus25
No Longer a Member

Default Re: What to replace a RIFA X2 with?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaveyDipole View Post

Why would a replacement kit offer only 1 replacement cap out of the 10 that are present in the unit?
So whoever assembled the kit doesn't realize in a supply of this age, all the electros require replacing.

I'm afraid that the only way to properly re-cap a vintage switch-mode psu is to take note and document every single electrolytic in it from the supply itself & the schematic, uF capacity and voltage and physical geometry height and diameter where important and radial lead spacing, then sitting down with something like the RS or Farnell/Element 14 catalog, patiently selecting suitable 105 deg C rated replacements, preferably items like Panasonic or Nichicon brand low ESR types (designed for SMPS use), and replace the X2's while you are at it.

If you buy a "kit" somebody else has assembled, you are only likely to get part of what you really need and there is no guarantee of the origin/quality of the replacement caps. Likely they will be the cheapest option, which is exactly what you do not want for a SMPS. So you have to take on the task of assembling your own capacitor kit for the job yourself and not rely on another party, or these are the kind of disappointments that wait in the wings. You are not alone, I have been through this myself. I once bought an expensive capacitor kit for a valve amp refurbishment, many were not suitable, missing and wrong values and poor parts, I only used about 10% of them in the end.

Last edited by Argus25; 27th May 2018 at 12:30 pm.