View Single Post
Old 23rd Feb 2021, 12:52 am   #24
knobtwiddler
Octode

Default Re: Sugden preamp WAL AC Farnell.

I'm glad to know that Sugden replied to you. They make good stuff (I scrutinised one of their current offerings with my R+S analyser), and it's nice to know that they took time to reply to you. I have pieces from several OEMs that are off-radar and either they don't reply, or when they do, they simply tell you it's discontinued and suggest that you ought to take a look at their latest offering.

I think you have several options:

i) Plug it in and have a listen. I'd suggest powering it with a variac before doing this, as the caps may not have been powered for decades. Although it's most likely cap-coupled everywhere and is unlikely to harm anything connected to it, if you want to be careful, run around all inputs and outs with a DVM and check that nothing resembling DC is coming out. If you like the sound, does it matter what anyone here says? My feeling is that it'll likely sound ok, assuming you connect it to the right type of cartridge. As Craig suggested, the old filter caps could mean hum performance isn't great.

ii) Are you looking to learn about audio electronics? If so, get yourself a generator (soundcard + freeware will also do it) and a scope. You can then test it for yourself and do some basic measurements. It'll take a little time, but you'll learn plenty.

iii) Find someone with an audio analyser. This will tell you exactly what its functions are in about 2 minutes: whether the output is flat, noise level, gain etc. But where would the fun be in that? And it'll bias your attitude towards listening to it.

Audio electronics have been good for quite a few years now.. They had discrete transistors in the late 60s that could be used to make signal paths that are quiet enough to be used with modern digital gear. The late, great Rupert Neve used the BC184C and BC109 in his designs, and these preamps are more desirable today than ever.