View Single Post
Old 19th Oct 2020, 7:18 pm   #31
CrazySwede
Tetrode

Default Re: Trying to revive a Goodmans One Ten receiver

Hi, I'm back.
Finally got the replacement transistor I ordered.
So took a deep breath, trying not to think of how long it was since the last time I held a soldering iron, and went at it.
Thankfully the Goodmans engineers must have had future hifi restorers with big, clumpsy Swedish hands in mind when laying this board out. Not that hard to access and not to crowded. Phew!
Got the VT41 replacement in place, checked and behold: there was minus voltage on the rail again!

So held my breath and mumbled a quiet prayer through gritted teeth to new and ancient higher powers and pressed power...
Big thump in the speakers and then... MUSIC!

Man it was a long time since Bruce Springsteen (playing on my phone through aux input) sounded this good!

Tested tuner: check! (but the tuning did not like the chilled out workshop and was stuck. Simulating normal indor temp with a hairdryer made it move again)

Phono input: check! An old Link Wray record on the Lenco sounded really nice. The riaa in this thing means business.

So good old Goodmans is back from the dead! Now onto a proper cleanup and some new lamps.
Since I was paying more shipment than value of the transistors I also added on the order replacement capacitors for the big blue Erie supply reservoir caps (C144, C145).
Should I replace those or leave them in? The seem to be in good shape.
Any other preemptive actions to take to steer clear of future trouble?
I know a full recap probably would be advisable, but I m kind of a "if it ain't broken don't fix it"-guy

But all and all, I'm a happy camper right now.
And to you gentlemen who has adviced me in troubleshooting I owe a big thank you! ...and a pint or two if and when we cross paths!

Here's a video with "proof of life":

https://drive.google.com/folderview?...BmRmgzMFp2_R-B
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20201019_192824.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	100.9 KB
ID:	218362