View Single Post
Old 8th May 2008, 4:25 pm   #7
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Default Re: Pulse to tone converter

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldFuddyDuddy View Post
The only question remaining is: Has anyone used this converter and would they rate it?
I have a Rototone (installed in a 746). As you say, it accesses the extra features such as * & #, last number redial and memory dial etc, by holding the appropriate number against the finger stop until a code tone is heard.

On the whole, I find it works quite well, though the playback of the tones sounds a little odd compared with other memory-dial 'phones. It works fine though.

Two caveats which I would make are:
1: Take very very seriously the comments in the intructions about ensuring that the dial contacts are clean. I did have problems initially, despite having cleaned them what I thought was thoroughly, but had to take the dial apart and clean the contacts again before it would work reliably.
2: I had difficulty storing numbers in the memory dials - seemingly caused by that helpful lady coming on to tell me to "please replace the handset and try again". In the end I resorted to doing this with the 'phone connected to a "quiet line" (in my case, the Skype adaptor on my computer).

Please note that there are two versions of the Rototone, one which plugs in between the 'phone and the line, and the other which is wired internally between the 'phone circuitry and the dial. The above refers to to the latter.

The unit which plugs between the 'phone and the line does not permit the use of * and #, nor the other additional facilities.