View Single Post
Old 4th Apr 2012, 7:09 pm   #81
hamid_1
Heptode

Default Re: Crystal Palace DSO is looming...

There's a video of what happened on BBC2 last night, posted by someone on another forum. Click Here
The announcer mentioned that BBC2 was Europe's first regular colour TV service, switched over from black and white in 1967.
I watched the changeover from the relay transmitter at Downley, High Wycombe. I expected it to switch over to ITV1 almost immediately but it didn't. Instead, ALL the analogue channels went off from the High Wycombe relay transmitter around 12.30am. At 12.55am BBC1 came back on air, followed by Channel 4 at 1.07am. I stayed up and watched the "KOTV" boxing programme on Channel 4. By the time it had finished (soon after 1.30am) ITV1 was back on BBC2's old frequency.
This morning (7.15am) I scanned for channels using a Panasonic Freeview box and indoor aerial pointing at the High Wycombe relay transmitter. It picked up the BBC digital TV and radio channels and stored them in the correct numerical order withot crashing. I was amazed - this was the box I had almost given up on, and didn't expect it to work due to out of date software. The engineers must have been working all night to get the TV switched on again in High Wycombe. Last night's weather was terrible, too.
This morning at work, 3 people asked me if I had any spare Freeview boxes. It seems not everybody has switched yet.