View Single Post
Old 9th Oct 2018, 11:08 am   #29
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Default Re: Is there any interest in old VCRs

I have a JVC HR-J665 here which I bought new back in the day. The manual is dated 1999. It is a NICAM (so hi-fi stereo) model with automatic tracking, probably nothing special at the time, but it is still working fine. It has never had any repairs, and I don't think I have even taken the top off.

I use it for playing pre-recorded music compilation and concert tapes that have never been released on DVD. Works fine through the SCART input on my LG LCD TV.

This fits the example of the later higher quality type which is still useful for general use, rather than as a collectable.

I have been looking on eBay for another similar one to use in the bedroom. There are plenty listed for around £30, normally as "working" and often with no remote control. I don't know how many of these actually sell at these prices though. I have just bought an Akai on there for £22.50 with remote control and free delivery, apparently owned by the seller from new (it hasn't arrived yet).

There are loads of pre-recorded VHS tapes on eBay too, though I suspect a lot of them don't sell. All the ones I've wanted I have got as the only bidder, with postage often costing more than the tape.

Overall I would say there is still some interest though not a big demand. As others have suggested, either the early models for collectors, or later hi-fi stereo ones in good condition for general use, would be worth salvaging. Nondescript mono ones, especially if not a decent brand, are probably not worth the bother.

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster