View Single Post
Old 14th Oct 2020, 5:29 pm   #1
ben
Dekatron

Default Making a midi system cassette deck standalone

I recently found a nice Sansui cassette deck (Model D-E970) next to some bins. This was once part of a top of the line system, it has dual 2-motor auto reverse cassette wells which can both record - not a feature one often finds.

Unfortunately the power lines seem to be a -30v for the digitron plus an AC 9v supply for the rest (there is evidence of internal regulators and rectifier). Not sure if that is used also for the digitron cathodes. I cannot find a cct diagram for this unit, so am working from what I can see on the boards.

My quest now is to come up with something from the junk box that would supply the voltages required to get this thing working.

I was thinking of harvesting a PSU PCB from things like DVD players, VCRs and older set top boxes that have a VFD. This DVD player (attached) has -24v output plus a couple of DC 12v lines which could probably provide a 9v AC source without too much trouble. I suspect a VCR might be a better option, as it would have greater current capability.

Has anyone attempted such a thing before? There must be stacks of these midi system components lying unused long after the amplifier/PSU has met its maker. In the past I did this with Sanyo and Marantz units that only needed a 12 or 24v DC supply. Turntables especially could always be given a new lease of life for the cost of a mains adaptor and a barrel socket. This, however is a bit more challenging!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	philips dvd dvp630.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	75.6 KB
ID:	217907