View Single Post
Old 2nd Jul 2018, 6:47 am   #10
John M0GLN
Octode

Default Re: Snubber resistor advice please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by G6Tanuki View Post
For me, the obvious 'software' solution would be to put the individual devices into standby and leaving it at that, rather than subjecting them to the trauma of a hard power-off.

A hard power-off of 'freeview' TVs/PVRs/set-top-boxes can mean they miss out on over-the-air software updates, and they can also experience glitches in the on-screen program-menus if you don't give them 10 minutes or so of 'learning-time' to re-acquire the menus when powered-up.
That's what I have been doing and I was just trying to get away from using 3 remotes and having to manually switch the subwoofer off, I know it's not that arduous a task but it seemed a good idea, the Sky box is left in standby all the time when not used.

Quote:
Originally Posted by julie_m View Post
Class X capacitors are supposed by definition to be able to withstand being connected directly across the mains line and neutral indefinitely, without a series resistor; and not fail in such a way as to set fire to anything else.

As far as adding a resistor goes, post hoc, ergo propter hoc applies. If you have a working solution, leave it alone!
I will do and I've learnt a bit of Latin as a bonus.

Thanks

John