View Single Post
Old 10th Jan 2019, 11:46 pm   #125
turretslug
Dekatron

Default Re: Modern MK Safety Plug. Not impressed

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlinmaxwell View Post
No wonder they come fitted now! It's not rocket science to fit a plug, these days however "lighting a match" science seems beyond most people.
I agree- too many fire investigators' and coroners' reports must have had significant bearing on the moulded plug legislation, and it's unfortunately likely that many of those who suffered would have been innocent parties. Similarly, I think that it's likely that the current talk of making appliances more easily repairable is likely to run into the sand for much the same reason. There must be almost a generation's worth of inexperience at appliance mending now!

It's easy to sneer at the "similar length cores" quandary if one has spent a fair chunk of working life making up complex bespoke multi-way connector leads (e.g me!) but again, many manufacturers left equal length prepared and stripped ends on mains leads and it's unsurprising that Joe Average would simply have wired in as-found, likely leaving the earth wire as the first to be subjected to mechanical stress in the majority of plug designs. More justification for moulded-on plugs....