View Single Post
Old 13th Feb 2018, 12:02 am   #1
muttley1984
Retired Dormant Member

Default Help with Braun MT99R

Hello,
My 90year grandma has a Braun MT99R radiogram which actually belonged to her mother and has been gathering dust for a long time (probably 25+ years!!). My grandfather passed away recently so I would really like to get her radiogram back in working order to give her a little lift. She loves her music and being a family heirloom it would be great to get it working and back into her life

It is a Braun MT99R and uses the RC61B circuit (chassis?) however it currently doesnt have a record deck at all as someone has obviously removed it over the years. I have managed to acquire a cheap BSR UA8 with the intention of re-fitting this if I can do a good enough job of restoring it and replacing a few parts

When i switched the unit on it plays the radio without any noticeable issues so I have reason to believe that if I can work out how to reconnect a record deck to the ‘phono’ input, I am hoping I wont have too much to do on the radio side or with the amplifier and speakers but maybe that is a little presumptuous?

I have the RC61B schematic and purchased a braun MT99 user manual (all in German!) but am still a little unsure of my next steps. I am reasonably technical but have never done anything with vintage audio before and would really appreciate a steer in the right direction

My initial questions are……

Q1. How do I power the record deck? I.e where do i 'pick up' the power supply from the radiogram unit?

Q2. Where and how do I connect the output of the cartridge from the record deck?

I can see the ‘source selector switch' on the schematic and can appreciate that the position of this basically configures the circuit however I am not sure where the inputs are. As a complete novice I could guess that the phono input is connected to the ‘port’ in the middle you can see on the photos which has nothing connected to it but I would like to understand this properly and cross check it against the circuit. As you can tell I am struggling to make the link between the schematic and the photos I have of my grandmas radiogram. If someone could perhaps talk me through the basic design or even mark up the schematic and/or photo that would be enormously helpful and help me get started

As I say I am very new to all this but willing to learn and determined to get this working again for my grandma so would really appreciate any help and support you can offer me

Thanks

Chris
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20171228_181447.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	75.2 KB
ID:	157277   Click image for larger version

Name:	20171228_181505.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	60.8 KB
ID:	157278   Click image for larger version