View Single Post
Old 2nd Aug 2021, 10:38 am   #8
David G4EBT
Dekatron

Default Re: Punnetts Town BVWS 1st August

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Church View Post

All in all a great day out, and now onwards to RetroTechUK on 26th September.

Thanks again to everyone involved for making this happen.
Well done to the organisers - the success of the event and similar events bodes well for RetrotechUK.

All such events depend on three main factors:

1) The availability of a suitable venue which can accommodate the likely number of visitors. Prior to the lifting of social distancing, that couldn't be achieved, so a lot of events couldn't run as it wouldn't have been economically viable. Many venue operators have been exceedingly risk averse until recently and have stayed closed, which is understandable.

2) Sufficient traders to make the event worthwhile. They will only attend if they have a good level of certainty that the event will definitely go ahead, and will attract enough visitors to be worthwhile for them.

3) Enough visitors need to be willing to attend, and they will only do that if they have the confidence to attend indoor venues and that there will be enough traders to make their journey worthwhile.

From a range of events I've attended and reports I've read of other (sell out) indoor events, I get the impression that all of those three boxes are now being ticked. Given how long things have been on hold, subjectively, I think there will be no shortage of equipment to change hands, and money burning holes in pockets!