Thread: Ekco A104
View Single Post
Old 7th Jul 2021, 10:43 pm   #2
HowardB
Pentode

Default Re: Ekco A104

I replaced all the waxy caps and a few resistors.
Replaced a couple of bypass electrolytics but left the original smoothing caps in place.
The rectifier (UY41) was replaced which restored the power supply.

By this time the radio was kind of working but with very low volume.
While I was testing it, I accidentally attached the aerial wire to the PU input and this strangely improved reception, making it a lot louder. That was weird.
I figured this might be caused by a switching fault, so I thoroughly cleaned the wavechange switch. That fixed it. It now received stations loud and clear on all wavebands and with the aerial in the right place.

The tear in the speaker was fixed with tissue paper and Copydex.
The dial back plate was cleaned and repainted.
The rubber bushes on the tuning capacitor were replaced.

But how to fix the plastic grille?
I went through several iterations on this. I had read that place mats could be used. I got a nice one from Wilko (£1.75) but didn't use it. Bought some nice speaker material and some foam padding, but didn't use that either. My next waste of money was wire mesh from B&Q that turned out to be too 'open'. I finally hit gold with perforated stainless steel sheet. This was the right thickness, had the right amount of holes and most importantly, it looked the part. It was however very difficult to cut, so in retrospect, I think aluminium would have been a better choice.

The cabinet was stripped back to bare wood using a mild paint stripper. I stained the front and sides with dark oak and the lighter middle sections with antique pine. Three coats of Danish oil followed, allowing the final coat plenty of time to dry. I finished it all off with a few coats of lacquer sprayed from a can.

All In all, a lot of work but I'm quite pleased with the results. I think the radio looks a lot better now and it certainly plays well with a lovely mellow tone.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210705_142111.jpg
Views:	310
Size:	104.1 KB
ID:	237281