View Single Post
Old 2nd Dec 2017, 8:55 pm   #46
Radio Wrangler

Default Re: AR88 Low HT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms660 View Post
Sometimes that's caused by a burr/deformation on the shaft caused by the grub screw being overly tightened, if it is then I usually turn the tuning knob until the end stop is reached then carefully try to rotate the knob a bit further whilst carefully pulling it off at the same time, that always worked for me on several receivers.
Please don't try forcing an AR88 against the endstop on the tuning gearbox. The very early gearboxes are stronger than the later ones, and the later ones are known for breaking the quadrant gear.

It's best to reach in and to try to hold the flywheel still while the grip of the knob is broken.

It's bad practice to spin these sets across the tuning range and into the endstops. It's easy to do. I did it a lot as a schoolkid and got away with it, but I only found out about the risk of damage many years later. My set is a very early one with complete circular gears throughout.

David