View Single Post
Old 21st Oct 2017, 8:07 pm   #26
David G4EBT
Dekatron

Default Re: Making replica wooden knobs on a lathe

Thanks for your kind word Robert, but as I've outlined in the last two posts, it's really quite basic turning for anyone with a modicum of woodturning and metalworking skills, given a bit of care and patience. If it doesn't work out first time, so what - the materials are very cheap and the pay-off is that we can make knobs that we'd otherwise stand little chance of finding at any cost. Being well thought of by our chums is an added bonus!

I did have a go at casting knobs in a range of materials but with limited success. Basically, because I was trying to use a 'home-brew' casting jig to accurately locate the brass insert in the centre of the knob and couldn't do that to my satisfaction. I'm going to revisit it and try just using the jig to make the alginate mould into which to pour the casting medium, then when it's set, I'll drill the cast knob in a 'jam chuck' on the lathe, made to suit each knob to enable the brass insert to be fitted concentrically, as with wooden knobs.

Not every knob will lend itself to a cast replica, (or a wooden one, come to that), but many will. I've spent more hours fruitlessly searching for knobs at the NVCF etc, than I ever would in gearing myself up to cast one, or even a set so they all match each other and look as original as possible within the limitations of what we have at our disposal. If the outcome is successful, I'll start another thread on that.