View Single Post
Old 11th Oct 2020, 8:05 am   #4
trh01uk
Octode

Default Re: Eddystone Model 850/2

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoyer454 View Post
I have a chance to buy an Eddystone 850/2. Not much on the web about them - rare I suppose?

There is one on the auction site for $5k dollars - is that what they go for? If so I may have to keep my couple hundred dollar offer to myself.

Radio appears to be in good condition but has two broken toggles on the front. The switches work, just the plastic toggle is missing.

Tom
W3TA
Tom,

the fact that you quote a price in dollars, suggests the item in question is located in USA. And of course, like all vintage receivers, this one will be a heavy item, and thus for any buyers in the US that's going to put the price up, since the cost - and more significantly, the risk of shipping from the UK is avoided.

However, you only have to look and see what other Eddystone receivers have sold for - here in the UK the typical price range is £50 - £200 - to see that the price you mention is way out of line. For that price, I would expect it to be personally delivered, proven fully working to spec, and with cosmetics like its just been taken new out of the manufacturer's packing! But then I'm not an Eddystone collector chasing such items.

I often get asked about finding items deemed to be "rare". And my observation is that nearly everything is out there somewhere - mostly stuck in someone's shed or attic and forgotten about. Usually until they die, and then someone else turns it all out. A proportion of that stuff finds its way to sales, small ads and auctions, and if you are keen to find such things, you have to be fully hooked into every possible sales outlet. Use such tools as "auction alerts". Make sure your friends know what you are looking for - send them photos so they recognise what you want. Use "wanted" columns, such as on this forum, and in other similar places. The real danger for the truly "rare" stuff is that no-one recognises what it is (even the so-called "experts"), and it just goes into the skip as worthless.

Richard