View Single Post
Old 21st Feb 2021, 6:25 pm   #48
Cobaltblue

Default Re: Seeking a Cornish Dealer from the past

I have spoken to my friend and he doesn't know the name Michael Scott although he did correctly identify the location. He didn't know it sold antiques as he rarely had reason to go past the door as that would mean heading for Bodmin, usually he would be heading East.

He will ask around and he has a lot of local knowledge.

I did go in there at least once but ultimately the A30 was a terrible road in the 70's and 80's so unless I needed to go to Okehampton I tended to use the A38.

TV came to parts of Cornwall in 1956 by which time this set would have been hopelessly out of date so I think its more likely that it came down during the war. Many families evacuated London and not just the poor during the war.
I think this is what you have already concluded.
So no further forward for the moment.

I still have a feeling this set was in Redruth before Bolventor and was the same set I missed out on by a week I cannot believe too many such sets appeared in Cornwall. That set was apparently owned by a doctor who fled the Blitz.

It would be nice to find out where it originated and how it ended up in Cornwall, I also missed out on an HMV 905 at our local recycling centre in Exeter again how did that get there.

That one ended up at Christies.

Cheers

MIke T