View Single Post
Old 28th Jan 2005, 5:16 pm   #1
Chris_C
Hexode

Default The BBC 1 Valver!

Hi All,

Does anyone remember the BBC 1 valve radio?

I would guess it was around 1957 ( I was 10 at the time). There was a programme on BBC on Mondays, something like a version of the later Blue Peter (before the advent of washing up liquid bottles and sticky back plastic), one of the projects was to build a 1 valve radio. You sent an SAE for the plan and the construction was shown, on the programme over several weeks.

The set was built on a plywood chassis in 2 parts, with the valve holder mounted between the two. A plywood front panel held the tuning and reaction controls.

The valve used was a DF91 or in my case a 1T4; the coil was one of the green Denco LW & MW with reaction types, the LW not being used.
The tuning cap was .0005mfd and reaction .0003mfd. All powered by one of the flatish Ever Ready combined 90V and 1.5V batteries. I found then that you could get a shock from a battery
Listening was via headphones.
I built one (with help with the soldering) and it did work . This was my first foray into radio construction and I've never forgotten it. Did anyone else build it or remember it?

I don't suppose that anyone still has a copy of the plans?