View Single Post
Old 9th Jan 2016, 11:19 am   #2
Rhgbristol
Triode

Default Re: Smiths Sectric clock

Welcome to this wonderful place Andy!!

Well worth keeping hold of and getting to work.

Particularly if outer casing is not cracked as the smaller versions had a dark brown Bakelite case.

They were made in the 1940s to 1960s and typically of that size would have been in a church hall, school, large office etc.

I have the smallest 9" version in my predominantly Metamech collection.

Value wise they will be very much what a buyer is prepared to pay. Large clocks like that are now currently in vogue typically in larger trendy domestic kitchens, or clubs and bars.

Many are converted to the cheap battery Quartz movements but if it were mine I would leave the synchronous mains movement in it.

As you probably know the synchronous motor's speed is tied to the mains frequency of 50Hz or 50 cycles per second as it will probably say on your clock. They are thus very accurate provided mains is not interrupted. Some of the movements needed a flick to restart them after a power interruption -normally achieved by a lever or knob.

For the full authentic connection look for two core cotton covered dark purple flex and a nice vintage MK Electric fused clock connector to go with it !

Last edited by Rhgbristol; 9th Jan 2016 at 11:26 am.