View Single Post
Old 22nd Feb 2018, 4:19 pm   #1
rogerdup
Retired Dormant Member

Default Restoration of my Pye LV30

Hello everybody,
This is the story of a PYE LV30 tv set I put back to life, thank to the invaluable contribution of David Boynes who supply the 9" missing crt and the PZ30 and PL38 tubes and also Jerome Halphen who facilitate the shipment of the Aurora SCRF 405A converter.
When visiting our local radio club in Clermont Ferrand (center France), I found in the garbage the chassis of a LV30 without is CRT, but all the tubes on it. In fact, the fellows who put it there, started trying to have it explode but only the neck cracked. After investigations on the chassis and with the help of an RF generator, I concluded that it was an Alexandra Palace PYE model, tuned for the bands of 41 to 45 Mhz. Question is: What such a TV is doing in center France, where no possibilities where offered to receive broadcast program with those frequencies range and an typical English standard!
Anyway, David Boynes offered tome a Franck pattern generator for 405 lines and I could proceed with the restoration of the set, after I received the crt from him.
After replacing all the electrolytic capacitor and those of the time basis, including resistors. After repairing the big chain of power resistor and replacing the PZ30 and the PL38 tubes, changing the EHT valve EY51, the 405 lines pattern appear on the screen! At least, the video circuit and the crt where working fine. As soon as I received the Aurora converter I tested the RF chain, and I was surprised that it worked perfectly. The LV30 was saved and ready for a new life!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LV30 capacitors replacement.jpg
Views:	374
Size:	99.7 KB
ID:	158014   Click image for larger version

Name:	LV30 capacitors changed on board.jpg
Views:	310
Size:	81.9 KB
ID:	158015   Click image for larger version

Name:	LV30 réparation bleeder.jpg
Views:	305